If you’re on the ketogenic diet (or interested in beginning it sometime soon), you may be looking for the perfect diet shake to fit into your new, stricter dietary plan. Many people lean on protein powders and meal replacement shakes to lose weight, maintain their current weight, get more nutrients into their day, and enhance their fitness efforts.
But, if you’re trying to stay in ketosis, choosing the best keto shake for you – that’s low enough in carbs, with moderate protein – will take a bit of research. We went ahead and did the hard work for you, coming up with what we believe are 5 of the best keto shakes right now. Check them out below… You just may find the perfect one to fit into your dietary plan and budget!
310 Nutrition Shake
This shake is also our #1 pick for overall diet shakes of 2019. See all of the top diet shakes of 2019 here.
These plant-based protein shakes are totally keto-friendly, being low in carbs, with NO sugar or artificial sweeteners. They also have an ideal amount of protein and fiber, and contain a ton of vitamins, minerals, superfoods greens and probiotics for digestive and gut health (especially on a keto diet). Plus, 310 reviews mention that these shakes taste awesome! Add MCT oil (also available on their site) for an extra boost.
In general, plant-based protein powders are becoming more and more popular, since they’re suitable for people who are lactose intolerant, and are jam-packed with health-boosting nutrients. Plus, studies show that they’re just as effective for building muscle as whey protein powders.
Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Mocha, Toasted Coconut, Vanilla Chai, Salted Caramel, Strawberry and Chocolate Mint
Price: $68.00 for 28 servings (or $2.43 per serving)
Where to Buy?: Online at 310Nutrition.com.
- Variety of yummy flavors
- Only 7g of total carbs and 2g of net carbs
- 15g of plant-based protein
- 5g of fiber for digestion and satiety
- 20 vitamins and minerals
- No sugar or artificial ingredients
- Superfood greens blend and 1 billion CFU of probiotics
- Good price
- The MCTs aren’t built into the formula (but you can add in MCT Oil)
Perfect Keto Whey Protein Shake
This shake is also our #4 pick for overall diet shakes of 2019. See all of the top diet shakes of 2019 here.
What makes this keto protein powder special is that it has the elements you need to get and stay in ketosis already built into the shake. Not only is it low in carbs and contains grass-fed whey protein powder (the cream of the crop when it comes to whey), but it also has added MCTs. These medium chain triglyceride fatty acids give you quick energy and help you get into ketosis faster.
Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla and Unflavored
Price: $38.99 for 20 servings (or $1.95 per serving)
Where to Buy?: Online at PerfectKeto.com.
- Contains grass-fed whey which offers abundant nutrients and is much healthier than grain-fed whey
- Includes MCTs to boost your fat intake and help you get into ketosis
- Only 3g of carbs and 15g of protein
- No artificial ingredients or fillers
- No added vitamins or minerals
- No added superfoods or probiotics for gut health
- Not enough nutrients to be a meal replacement shake, but can use it as a snack in between meals or pre- or post-workout for better results
Kiss My Keto Protein Shake
What makes this low-carb protein powder unique is that it contains collagen protein instead of the typical whey protein used in many diet shakes. While your body needs and depends on collagen for joint, bone, digestive and skin health as you get older, your production of it starts to slow down in your 30’s.
The Kiss My Keto formula includes 100% hydrolyzed collagen peptides from grass-fed bovine collagen. This makes it more absorbable and supplies amino acids that help your body maintain optimal levels of this essential protein.
Flavors: Chocolate and Birthday Cake
Price: $38.99 for 25 servings (or $1.56 per serving)
Where to Buy?: Online at KissMyKeto.com.
- Contains hydrolyzed collagen peptides for great health
- Contains 5g of MCT Powder to help you get into ketosis
- Only 3g of total carbs and 1g of net carbs
- Contains electrolyte-balancing minerals (potassium, sodium, chloride and magnesium) to hydrate and help prevent keto flu
- Cheaper price
- Just 2 flavors (and no Vanilla which is a typical protein powder favorite)
- Only has 10g of protein, which is low
- Only 2g of dietary fiber
- No additional vitamins, superfoods or probiotics
Naturade Vegansmart Plant-Based Vegan Protein
Looking for a keto meal shake that also fits into a vegan dietary plan? This is one of the best keto shakes for plant-based eaters. The shake is Certified Vegan, with non-GMO protein and only natural flavors used. There are no artificial sweeteners or ingredients, preservatives, gluten, dairy or nuts. Plus, the shakes are nutritional powerhouses, with superfood and digestive blends.
Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Chai, Wild Berries, Cookies & Cream, Chocolate Raspberry, Strawberry Shortcake and Peaches and Cream
Price: $36.99 for 15 servings (or $2.47 per serving)
Where to Buy?: Online at VeganSmart.com.
- Lots of yummy flavors
- Good for vegans and vegetarians
- 20g of plant-based protein
- 7g of fiber for digestive health
- 22 vitamins and minerals
- Vegan Energy Blend with MCTs to help you get into ketosis
- Whole food and digestive enzyme blends for good health
- 150mg of probiotics for gut health
- A bit higher in carbs: 16g total carbs and 9g net carbs
- 5g of sugar (organic cane sugar)
Onnit Grass Fed Whey Protein Isolate
This grass-fed whey protein powder is specifically targeted towards those who want to make great strides in their fitness efforts. The product page mentions that the shake “supports muscle gains” and “promotes workout recovery”, due to the superior whey protein used.
Grass-fed whey is not only chock full of nutrients due to the cows being allowed to graze in their natural green pastures, but they also aren’t subject to feedlots (with grain-fed food potentially full of GMOs, hormones, antibiotics and more).
In addition, whey protein isolate has more protein and less fat and lactose than whey protein concentrate. It’s also high in the branched chain amino acid, leucine, which helps build muscle mass and assists with muscle recovery.
Flavors: Vanilla or Mexican Chocolate
Price: $50.96 for 30 servings (or $1.70 per serving)
Where to Buy?: Online at Onnit.com.
- 20g of whey protein isolate per serving
- Grass-fed whey from New Zealand cows
- Only 3g of carbs and 2g of net carbs
- Contains MCT Oil to help you get into ketosis
- No added sugar or artificial sweeteners
- Doesn’t include vitamins or minerals, except calcium and sodium
- No superfoods or probiotics
Ready to make your decision on the best keto shake for you? We hope this article has you geared up and ready to pick a low-carb protein powder that will fit into your lifestyle. To assist you even further on your journey, check out our keto-related blog articles for tips and tricks to stay in ketosis!